Wednesday, May 11, 2011

speeches

I've been collecting data for a couple of speeches that I will be presenting in November at a conference in Indy. I'm so nervous, but I feel passionately about these topics and am looking forward to geting the information together and getting everything together. I need to learn how to download movie clips into a presentation and get power points made. The topics are: texting, sexting, and cyberbullying and teen dating violence. Both are subjects that I feel very passionately about. If we can get kids to be aware of their actions and the effect that these actions have on others, prehaps there will be an end to the violence in our society. I see so much bullying - kids against other kids, kids against adults, bullying in the workplace; how can we act like such animals? It happens so much that I don't think that some of the kids even realize it. And then we have to factor in the Milgram experiment - or, as my great-grandmother used to say, "Water seeks its level." If someone starts bullying another person, everyone joins in. No one will "stand up" for the victim. I've seen one of my students in tears. Yes, he can be annoying - but so can the others, but everyone "jumps" on this kid and don't realize that what they do is just as bad, or worse, than what he does. It's very frustrating. Guess, I'll just keep on trying. Maybe someday things will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment